Monday 2 December 2013

Calebite

Caleb turned six last month, and he grew up a whole bunch overnight.

A couple weeks back he announced to me, early one morning, that he was going to be much more serious about life now.  He wants to try harder, work harder, read more, learn more.  "I don't have as much time for fooling around," he stated.

This morning, when I woke up, he told me not to worry, that he had already had breakfast (including a piece of fruit) and made his lunch for school.  What did he make?  Exactly what I might have put in: his half sandwich of ham and butter, an apple, and a yogurt, with a spoon.  It was all packed up in containers and ready to go.  He told me that a friend from school was in charge of making his own lunch, and if the friend didn't make a lunch, he didn't have one for the day.  "It's time I started making my own lunch, too," Caleb insisted.  "And if I don't make it, then I don't have one."

So grown up, just like that.

No comments: