Monday 12 October 2020

Learning to Listen #16 - Alma and How She Got Her Name

 This week I read "Alma and How She Got Her Name", a picture book by Juana Martinez-Neal. Alma Sofia Esperanza José Pura Candela has a very long name, but as her father unlocks the history of her ancestors by whom she is called, Alma starts to see the generational gifts her grandparents have given her through their names. But her father also tells her that her first name, Alma, is her very own name, one that Alma will use to make her own story.

At the end of the story, author Juana Martinez-Neal gives the story of her own name, and then poses the question to the reader: What is the story of your name? What story would you like to tell?

The idea of names always fascinates me. My own name has a unique story behind it, a story that I love even though the name itself has always given me trouble. With so many letters in both a first and (now married) last name that are impossible to spell on their own, I have spent my whole life spelling out my names to people. I also always yearned for a middle name, left conspicuously blank (I firmly believe it should have been Elizabeth, after both my grandmothers).

Having a compound name has meant that over the years I get any number of combinations as people try to remember: Terry-Lynn, Kerri-Ann... Tara-Anna. My reaction was usually to ignore it and answer anyway - too much trouble to get people to get it right.

Now, as a teacher, I see it differently. I see the opportunity to honour a person through their name. International names are often difficult because the syllables are unfamiliar, the letter combinations unusual, and the rules for long or short vowels different than in English. Now, as a teacher, I make a point to ask for pronunciation, to show that it matters to me that I say their name correctly.

We have created language to communicate, and the nuances of pronunciation are an integral part to effective communication. Getting it right matters. And more than that, I can teach my brain to understand the nuances of other languages, to learn patterns in Hindi names, or how letters are spoken different in Spanish, or how to roll new sounds in my mouth. We are not as stuck in our ways as we think we are.

From the author's words:

"My name is so long, Daddy. It never fits," Alma said. "Come here," he said. "Let me tell you the story of your name. Then you decide if it fits."

"Sofia was your grandmother," he began. "She loved books, poetry, jasmine flowers, and, of course, me. She was the one who taught me how to read." "I love books and flowers...and you too, Daddy!" I am Sofia."



No comments: