Monday 14 January 2008

Family History

This year our church congregation is having a special focus on Family History. I have to admit, this is an area in which I have great interest, but little drive. Every so often I light a fire under me and jump into genealogy, entering names of relatives into family charts and enjoying trying to keep it all straight. However, it never lasts long. Quoting a friend, "Family history is for when you're retired and have lots of time on your hands."

But I know how important keeping a family history is. I know I enjoy hearing stories from my grandparents, and imagining all the different members of our family's past. I've never been a faithful written journal keeper - this online blog is the closest thing to consistency I've got. I also know that my own grandkids, or great grandkids, etc. would probably really enjoy learning about who I was and the things I did.

So I've decided to come at this a different way. I want to start compiling stories from my relatives. The plan is to videotape them as they recount their past and memories, and then I will transcribe it all into a little book. I had had this idea earlier in the year, and now I'm really going to jump on it. How neat will it be that my kids could pull a book off the shelf and it's all about their own grandparents, or great grandparents? I've had the blessing of having a young family, and so many of my older relatives are still with us. However, I know that as my children grow, they won't have the privilege of knowing them as well as I do.

So this is going to be my second project of the year...I'll keep you posted on the progress!

No comments: