Thursday 4 September 2008

I enjoy being a girl

And now for something completely light, fluffy and fun (in light of the past few entries!)...the lyrics to a great little Broadway song, for all us girls. Let's all go back ten or fifteen years to those glorious fun-filled Friday nights as we dolled ourselves up for a date and remember why being a girl rocks!

"I Enjoy Being a Girl"

I'm a girl, and by me that's only great!
I am proud that my silhouette is curvy,
That I walk with a sweet and girlish gait
With my hips kind of swivelly and swervy.

I adore being dressed in something frilly
When my date comes to get me at my place.
Out I go with my Joe or John or Billy,
Like a filly who is ready for the race!

When I have a brand new hairdo
With my eyelashes all in curl,
I float as the clouds on air do,
I enjoy being a girl!

When men say I'm cute and funny
And my teeth aren't teeth, but pearl,
I just lap it up like honey
I enjoy being a girl!

I flip when a fellow sends me flowers,
I drool over dresses made of lace,
I talk on the telephone for hours
With a pound and a half of cream upon my face!

I'm strictly a female female
And my future I hope will be
In the home of a brave and free male
Who'll enjoy being a guy having a girl... like... me.

(click here to watch it on youtube)

(PS - if you know how to upload a youtube video right onto a blog, please let me know)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know ... that might be the scariest thing you've ever posted.

Alright, so my heart clenched when your bubble burst (I wondered what on earth had happened to make you so uncharacteristically cynical so suddenly) -- and it even forced some dark reflections on my own part -- but this last bit of business is just ... wow.

Anonymous said...

I never get dolled up anymore, I am constantly in mom clothes (I still haven't gotten out my pre-pregnancy clothes, though they fit), but I should start. For our anniversary, Aaron got me a gift card to choose something non-mommish.....but I wound up getting the stuff to make Shea's quilt, hehe.
-Heather.

Terri-Ann said...

Kevin:
Well, I guess there are always two sides to everyone! And I have to admit that although I'm a hockey-loving, sports-playing rough-and-tumble mom, there's a fun girly side to me as well. It's important to remember that this song was written back in the sixties (I think) and of course might be considered a little, um, oppressive (?) these days. But I think, despite what some hardcore feminists might tell you, nearly every girl out there loves to be dolled up and told she's pretty. (A tamer version of this song would be West Side Story's "I Feel Pretty")

Terri-Ann said...

Heather:
Over the past three years I've purchased a few "dress-up" clothes out of habit and wishful thinking. But over the past two weeks I finally resigned myself to the fact that I live in jeans and t-shirts, and just went out and bought a bunch of $5 stuff from Wal-Mart.