Tuesday 15 April 2014

Juliettables

Juliette has a fascination with the drawing of eyes.  Whenever we get out sketch paper and pencils, she wants to me draw eye after eye after eye.  Just one big eye, with details like eye lashes and eye brows, eye lids and flecks in the iris.  I have no idea where this came from.

***

While we do a good job to keep her away from her allergens, once or twice a month she gets something unbeknownst to us and we see the attack all over again.  Last night I think she licked an empty bowl of ice cream.  She was restless and wouldn't go to sleep come bedtime, then around 9pm she launched into an all out tirade.  She thrashed about in the room, screaming, crying, throwing herself on the bed, hitting her head on the wall.  I was in there with her, singing softly, talking gently, hugging her and then letting her go.  After thirty minutes she suddenly collapsed into a ball and fell asleep for fifteen minutes.  Then I watched as she started to writhe in her sleep, wake up, and start the process all over again.  That went on until about 2 am, when she finally collapsed next to me in my bed and slept, albeit fitfully, until 7am.  Poor baby.  Dairy is by far the worst and most immediate reaction, although she still gets patchy spots on her face if she gets any grains, beans or soy.

***

Spring is finally on its way, though late this year, and Juliette is proving to be an outdoorsy kid.  I took her out in rainboots and mudpants the other day and she splashed around in the spring mud for hours.  She won't remember much from last summer, but I have a feeling she will be in her element once the ground is soft enough for digging.

No comments: