Wednesday 27 June 2007

A family wedding

James and I were blessed to be a part of his brother's wedding this past weekend. Sean married his girlfriend of 5 years, Julia, in a beautiful and very well planned ceremony and celebration. James was the best man, and as Julia's first "sister", I was also in the wedding party as a bridesmaid.

Standing in the church, across from James and listening to the words of the minister, I felt for the first time I was really listening to God's words on marriage. I don't know how it is for others, but I remember very little of what was actually said during our wedding ceremony. I know there were words of wisdom and passages of scripture, but most of the words are but whispers in my memory. But this time I stood and truly heard what has been written about love. I understood better the pure emotion it is, and how I should be trying to develop it, and what the potential of love really is. I realized that my own marriage will take an enormous amount of work to ensure it lasts, and much of this work must be done on my own as I develop the quality of love in myself. I heard each portion of this passage about love and reflected on how I am working to achieve each of these aspects.

Love is patient, love is kind.
It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.
It is not rude, it is not self-seeking,
It is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.
Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.
It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.
Love never fails.

No comments: