Thursday 30 April 2009

The new June Cleaver

So, if June Cleaver were to appear in the year 2009, she would be: 5'3", with red hair, and green eyes....wait...do you hear that? That's the sound of my echoing laughter. Yesterday while visiting with a new friend, she dubbed me the "June Cleaver" of our neighbourhood. I laughed so hard I cried.

What precipitated the comment was my producing some homemade pretzels to munch on for snack. This friend often happens to be the recipient of yummy baked treats, hence the reference to June Cleaver. But I always felt I was so far away from this "ideal" of a homemaker, mother and wife I wouldn't even make it onto a 1950's television show, let alone be cast as this iconic character.

I clean my house once a week. I just don't have the time or effort to drag the vacuum out more often. I try to wash the kitchen floors every other week, but that doesn't even always happen. I always have piles of laundry. I don't do arts and crafts with my kids; I've never liked crafts and the idea of the mess is just too scary. I'm much more likely to be outside kicking a soccer ball or shooting hoops. I tell my kids to pick themselves up when they fall rather than smothering them in cuddles and kisses. My kids generally look like they've been playing in dirt (they have) and may have even eaten some. And more than likely I am covered in the aforementioned dirt, too.

I do enjoy baking and cooking, and I hope to add gardening to that. Music is a huge part of our home, which includes sing-alongs at the piano and dancing in the living room. Story-telling and imagination feature most of our playtime. I have yet to tire of the "why?" questions from Colin, encouraging as much learning and inquisitiveness as possible.

Perhaps I should re-pose the question above: what would June Cleaver look like in 2009? Since she represents the heart of the home, doing her part to create a loving atmosphere, supporting her husband and nurturing her kids, maybe I am a bit like her. But there's no doubt my rough and tumble, artistic, athletic, housecleaning-inept self do not resemble the image June radiated through the television all those years ago. I'll just have to laugh at those who read the minute aspects of my personality and seem to see that "model housewife" in there somewhere. She just ain't there at all.

No comments: