Thursday 9 July 2009

Getting there...

I'm slowly on the road to recovery. I can finally take care of myself again, getting food when I need it, doing a little tidying, and getting out to brief social outings. I'm able to watch the boys for a short time, up to about two hours. I was able to do the dishes once, and make a really simple oven/microwave meal for myself and the boys the other day. I'm still winded easily; just going up and then down the stairs means I need to sit down for a short rest. Eating is still awful, and I always need to lie down after a meal. I'm still not up to daily showers yet - it's the one thing I really dread. The water on my skin makes me dizzy, nauseous and ill, so you can understand my reluctance to get in every day. Luckily the weather has been cool and my activity level is low, so hopefully I'm bearable for my family! (Although I knew it was time for a shower the other day when Colin wrinkled his nose after giving me a hug, proclaiming "the baby smells!")

I've been able to spend about 10 minutes at a time on the piano. I'm able to get outside and sit int he backyard. Our nanny, Bethany, is still here until naptime, but I've been able to handle some of the afternoons. After next week I'm hoping to reduce Bethany to 2-3 times a week, handling a couple full days a week.

I have my next pre-natal appointment next Friday. It can't come soon enough. I can't tell you how much I need the reassurance of hearing a heartbeat right now. I'm a small person who doesn't show my pregnancy until later, and it's too early for kicking, which means there's not a lot for me to rely on to see how things are going. I just want to rush in to the doctors, lie down on the bed and hear that heartbeat first thing. I'm hoping that once I get this reassurance, at 16 weeks, perhaps then my mind will be eased a little bit more. I'm not sure the worry will ever disappear, but I'm hoping I will get a little peace of mind.

All in all, I'm glad to finally be on the mend. Life is starting to feel a little more normal now.

No comments: