Monday 27 July 2009

Pregnancy treats

During normal healthy periods of my life, I am really good at keeping treats to a minimum. I don't spend the money at the grocery store, which means we don't have them sitting around the house. And I almost never make late night runs (or make James make late night runs) for ice cream or other desserts. It took a lot of self-control in the beginning, but now I'm just used to it.

But during pregnancy, I figure that all bets should be off. I feel awful, and so if I feel like indulging in a Dairy Queen Blizzard at 10pm, or send James to a 24-hour grocery store for nachos and cheese, I don't feel too bad about doing it.

The problem is, during pregnancy, I get on this crazy healthy snacking kick! The other day we went to Dairy Queen with the boys, and I bought a Blizzard to bring home, not really feeling like eating it right after dinner. But later that night, when I opened the fridge, I was staring at both the ice cream and the raspberries, and all I wanted was the raspberries! My two favourite snacks right now are:

1. Tomato, red pepper and cheese quesadillas
2. Spinach, strawberry and walnut salads with balsamic vinaigrette dressing.

While both these things are delectable, I feel slightly cheated out of the dessert allowance I would give myself during pregnancy.

No comments: