Friday 27 July 2012

40 decluttering jobs - one a day

Anyone else find that decluttering usually involves wandering through the house aimlessly and randomly picking up things to throw into a donation or garbage pile?  Or maybe, like me, you pick a room to work on but never feel like it's fully tackled.

Over the last six weeks, I have definitely been working on decluttering my home, and yet I don't feel like I made the dent in it that I wanted to.  That's why, when I saw this list on 40 separate tasks to getting rid of the clutter, I knew I had found a new valuable tool to use.  Blogger Stephanie broke down the house into 40 different jobs to be tackled, one at a time, one day at a time.  Her list makes so much sense.

For example, instead of saying "work on the kitchen today," she breaks it down into:

1) kitchen drawers - cutlery/utensils
2) kitchen cupboards with dishes/storage containers
3) kitchen cupboards with pots, pans and appliances
4) kitchen drawers - junk drawer
5) kitchen linens
6) kitchen "other" - anything else stored in the kitchen
7) kitchen cookbooks and recipes

At the end of these seven days, the kitchen should be decluttered.  Stephanie recommends spending 30 minutes a day on your task, and trying to purge a minimum of 10 items a day.  This breakdown just seems to make the whole job both easier and clearer.

If you're like me, decluttering and simplifying can be depressing if you never seem to be able to get ahead and stay ahead of the clutter.  I've tried many methods in the past, and none have ever stuck.  But sometimes it's just about trying all the different methods until you find one that works for you.  Here's hoping I've collected the right combination of things to do in order to win over simplicity in my home!

No comments: