Friday 17 September 2010

What did you do in school today?

"I dunno."
"Stuff."
"Things."
"I can't remember."
"I'm not sure."

What on earth did you do for the six hours you were gone???

That's the question on my mind every day. Colin is finishing up week two at school, and I have very little idea of what exactly goes on there! He was never one to divulge about school, but at least last year I picked him up every day and the teacher always had one or two comments about the goings-on of the day. It was fun to here the anecdotes, cute stories, funny lines, and amazing activities in which Colin participated. This year I feel so distant from it all.

Every day I varied my question, trying in vain to prompt some response. "Tell me one thing you did today?" "What activity centre did you start at?" (Always and only Lego, is his response!) "What game did you play in gym?" And I got nothing.

Then, finally, I landed on the right question! "What did you do when you got off the bus this morning?"

And out tumbled 10 minutes worth of a detailed, minute-by-minute account of Colin's school day! I guess the "choose a random moment" was just too abstract for him. Too much going on, not enough of it different or unique to stand out. Victory!

I've also decided that I'm going to try and pick him up from school once a week (hopefully Fridays). That way I can pop into the classroom and just hear from the teacher how the week went. I'm hoping to somehow volunteer in the classroom once a week also, which will also be nice. Today is the first day I'm planning on this, so I'll see how it goes!

1 comment:

heather80 said...

I have learned to ask Shea, "Who did you see today?" "What did ______ say?" etc. Though, granted, in that I SEE him (whether or not he sees me) several times a day, gives me a leg-up, as I can ask about specifics. He must think I'm some kind of clarevoyant.