Monday 26 September 2011

Words of wisdom

Saturday night I watched a broadcast of a women's conference from our church. It was an hour an a half of pure inspiration. But by far, my favourite quote (and most relevant to how I'm feeling right now) is this:

"Forget not the 'why' of the gospel. Sometimes, he said, LDS church members focus on what the Lord wants them to do and how to do it, but forget the why. While understanding the 'what' and the 'how' of the gospel is necessary, the eternal fire and majesty of the gospel springs from the 'why,' " he said. "When we understand why our Heavenly Father has given us this pattern for living, when we remember why we committed to making it a foundational part of our lives, the gospel ceases to become a burden and, instead, becomes a joy and a delight. It becomes precious and sweet." (Dieter F. Uchtdorf)

I have a HUGE passion for the why. I have no doubt been caught up in the "what" and "how" over the years, and just this past year or so have finally gotten down to the basics. I think the more spiritually mature you get, the less complicated it gets. We complicate religion and spirituality and church when we have only a limited understanding. As we grow and mature, we see the beauty of the simplicity in it all. I have had my eyes opened in a new way, and I have such a passion for helping others see the same thing.

No comments: