Wednesday 5 October 2011

Calebite

Usually at least once a day James puts on the music for the boys to dance to. Our boys LOVE to dance. No matter where they are in the house, or what they are doing, they drop and run for the living room. I love that they love to dance.

I don't love the music so much. James is a big 80s fan. I am not. But since he is the one who usually puts on recorded music, there is mostly 80s music playing. I find recorded music is generally just another layer of noise added to an already noisy house. I will blast my music if I'm home alone (ha ha) or in the car on my own (ha ha). At home, I generally opt for live music, singing songs a cappella, playing and singing at the piano or on my guitar, or, very rarely, getting in a little flute practice.

Lately James' picks have been Michael Jackson (always a standard here), two songs from Transformers the Movie, and the theme from Neverending Story. But yesterday he put on my itunes playlist (he does that now and again, and I love that he thinks of me in that way.) Immediately Eva Cassidy's beautiful voice filled the house in the strains of "How Can I Keep From Singing?" This song has sort of been my anthem for the past couple of months. I've always loved it, but Eva's version lent itself so well to the guitar that I play it a lot while I'm learning. And then I fell in love with it all over again, and started singing it to Benjamin at bedtime. And I continued to sing it when Benjamin and Caleb began sharing a room, so Caleb often heard it at bedtime also.

Colin came down the stairs upon hearing the music, and was singing it with full gusto (much like Eva and I do!) "Above the tumult and the strife/I hear the music ringing/It sounds an echo in my soul/How can I keep from singing?"

I smiled as I watched Colin come down, singing. But then I heard Caleb's heavy tread running from the playroom. He picked into the hall and saw me, and this huge grin spread from ear to ear. "Mommy!" he exclaimed, excitement bursting forth, "It's the singing song! She said ringing, and singing, and Mommy, that's the song you sing! I love this song!" He then ran into the living room and began a slow yet moving sway back and forth to the rhythm of the music.

It did my heart good to see my boys show such a love for my favourite kinds of music. I know they love music, and we are a very musical home, but it's nice to see such an enthusiasm for it also.

No comments: