Saturday 4 February 2012

Conversation

One of my many favourite things about my marriage is that James and I can sit and talk with each other for hours. The other night we both found ourselves in the living room around 8pm, with the kids tucked into bed and the nightly clean up finished. Usually at this point we would decide to play a game or watch a movie or work on a project together. We actually spend a lot of time together in the evenings, usually only heading out solo once or twice a week.

Anyway, there we were lounging on the couches and we got into a conversation. We explored the topic in depth, which then evolved into another and another and another, and before long it was past 11pm, which, these days, is well past time to be in bed for us.

I don't know about you, but for me, conversation gets my mind juices flowing and my energy bursting. But for James, it slowly winds him down. So at 11pm, James fell into bed and was asleep in minutes, whereas I found myself sitting in bed wide awake, knowing I had to be up in six hours and in no way about to fall asleep! This happens often for us - we get a really good debate going, parrying and lunging and hitting blows back and forth, and then James falls asleep and I'm pumped up.

But that's the way it goes. It's still one of my favourite parts of ours days.

No comments: