Friday 20 April 2012

31 weeks

Getting closer and closer to the end! 9 weeks officially, hopefully less. I delivered two of my three boys at 38 weeks, which would mean only 7 weeks to go. The OB said I'm measuring about 32 weeks, which could mean only 6 weeks to go! I really wish there was a more scientific way of figuring out when a baby would come, so that I could just mark it on the calendar and know when to expect him/her.

A few changes with my pre-natal care. New vitamins to try and solve the dizziness I'm experiencing, and that seems to be helping. My OB has also switched me back to try Diclectin, and anti-nausea medication that is the one usually used in pregnancy. It always made me more sick when I tried it in the past, during the first trimester, but I'm willing to give it a go again now. Perhaps things will be different this late in the pregnancy. It will take a few days to see how it works. But the nurses are having such a tough time getting IV sites in my veins that this may be my only option now. The "may cause drowsiness" warning totally affects me. About an hour after each pill I'm so tired I physically can't stay awake, and that lasts about an hour in itself. I'm trying to time taking the pills (3 times a day) so that I don't have to worry about watching Benjamin while I'm on it. He's such an adventurous 2 1/2 year old that there's no telling what trouble he might get into while I'm passed out for that hour. Yesterday was my first morning on the meds, and I fell asleep while sitting with a couple of friends having a discussion.

I still spend much of my time thinking about life getting "back to normal" once the baby comes. No, it won't be easy, but at least I'll have my health and will be able to function normally. My parents will stay with us for 6 weeks after the baby comes, which will make things much easier. But come August and September I'll likely feel like a single mom, due to the busy nature of our business (a moving company.) It's only April and already James is leaving for work before 7am, getting home in time for dinner, and then working for 2-4 hours once the kids are in bed. During the summer months, he's often gone before the kids wake up and not home until after they are in bed.

But I will have my health. After these nine months, I don't think I'll ever be able to take feeling well for granted again. Everything else that life throws me I can handle, deal with, figure out. Ill health is something you just have to live with. There is a light at the end of the tunnel!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

And you'll have me! That thought is supposed to comfort you, not fill you with dread.