Sunday 30 September 2012

Adventure awaits!

Twice a year James and his brothers and dad go away for three days for a "guys weekend."  Generally, from what I hear, it's movies and video games and swimming and hanging out.  Every time he goes, he reassures me that any time I wanted to do something of the like, he would arrange for me to get away.  Up until now, while I love my family and friends, the only thing that remotely interested me was going by myself to a hotel or spa and just being alone in the quiet for the weekend.  Bring my guitar and a notebook for writing and just be alone.

Well, now I have something else in the next year or so that I will cash in all those guys weekends for.  A friend of mine just announced she is kicking into gear her bucket list wish of hiking the entire Bruce Trail (885 km from Niagara Falls to Tobermory, in Ontario).  She wants to do the first quarter in ten days next fall (yes, that's 20 km/day).  She posted about it on her blog and then posed the question at the end: anyone in?

YES YES YES!

As soon as I read about it, I knew it was exactly the kind of trip I want to take.  When I told James about it, he sort of gave me that glazed look of "why exactly would you want to spend your vacation hiking and camping and dirty and eating camp food?"  His perfect vacation is a cruise where you don't get off the ship or sitting on a beach for 7 days in the Caribbean.  That's why this week is the perfect opportunity for me to give my inner outdoor-girl some lovin'!  (She's been neglected for a while.)

Lots of planning to go into a trip like this (um...how do I carry a tent and a sleeping bad and ten days worth of food and hike 20km/day?) but, if you can't tell already, I'm loving the idea.

Can't wait Jen!

No comments: