Thursday 20 September 2012

"We work like that"

Today I read this on Stephanie Nielson's blog:

Mr. Nielson went to Costco today and brought me home some beautiful orange roses.
So, I made Mr. Nielson some delicious minestrone soup for dinner.
We work like that.

"We work like that."  I love that phrase.  I wonder if I can adopt it into my vernacular?  It got me thinking about how James and I "work."

We work because I like to tidy and he likes to clean.  The other night he said to me "I really need to get down on my hands and knees and scrub this kitchen floor."  Not too many husbands would come up with that one.  But it's okay because I never go from one room to the next without something to replace in its spot.  We work like that.

I get up all night with the baby (whichever one it was, over the years.)  I do it quietly so that James can get a full night's uninterrupted sleep.  Then when the boys are up at the crack of dawn, his shift starts.  I can never sleep through all the noise, but I get a good 30-60 minutes of just lying in bed, resting.  We work like that.

We don't like the same foods at all.  My favourite meal is a stir fry or a big dinner salad.  James likes meat and potatoes, and will pick his way through a vegetable on the side.  Dessert isn't dessert without fruit in it, for me.  James likes the really naughty heavy sweet stuff.  A fruit flan is perfect for us - I eat the fruit, he eats the custard (we both leave the cake.)  Since I'm in charge of meals, I could easily fix my favourites all the time.  But when I know James has been gone all day and had a hard day at that, I love to fix up a homemade meat loaf, mashed potatoes, peas, and homemade buns slathered in butter. I don't feel like I'm a slave to the kitchen; I love to make something my honey is going to love.  We work like that.

(We don't work when it comes to the thermostat.  I like it hot, hot, hot.  James steps in the house and starts to melt.  I turn down the air conditioner, he turns it up, repeat, repeat, repeat.  We don't work like that :-)

I wonder how all of you "work?"

No comments: