Monday 11 November 2013

Primary

This Sunday, I was called to be the Primary President, the person in charge of leading the children's ministry program at our church.  For the past year, I've been helping a good friend (as her counsellor,) but now they have asked me to step up and fill that role.

It's an interesting process.  I've never led an organization in our church like this.  It's a very fast transition process.  I was asked earlier in the week, and within 6 days I was stepping in, with two new women I chose to serve with me.

I can assuredly say there was an emotional and spiritual shift within me.  I have loved and worked with these children over the past year, but as I accepted this role, I felt a burden rest on my shoulders.  Suddenly I wasn't just creating lessons and offering ideas, I am now responsible for their spiritual learning in a church setting.  It's hard to articulate, and I'm not sure I would have understood anyone trying to put this feeling into words before having experienced it myself.

I have been flooded with inspiration over the week.  With no formal training (like Seminary or Bible College), those who volunteer in a lay ministry like those in our church must rely heavily on the inspiration of the Holy Spirit.  If I plow ahead trying to make decisions on my own, while some things may work, some things will fail.  Human beings learn through experience and failure; it is the path to true success.  Only in this area, I don't want to fail at the expense of the children under my charge.  But if I patiently wait and ask God, then I can make the right decision every time.

I must keep reminding myself of my life scripture at this time:

"Trust in the Lord with all thine heart, and lean not onto thine own understanding.
In all thy ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct thy paths."
     (Proverbs 3:56)

This has been a reminder again that what I'm doing isn't about programs.  It's about people.  It's about helping these children and their families come to know and love God the Father and Jesus Christ.  Our family scripture time this morning led us to John 17:3: "And this is life eternal: that they might know thee, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." In the end, everything that we do should be lifting up this one purpose.

It's an exciting time, and I have wonderful women who have love, joy, and experience to help me along the way.  I pray for wisdom, guidance, patience, and most of all holy inspiration as I move forward on this journey.

No comments: