Thursday 20 March 2008

Mother-Daughter sports

I am easily inspired. My mind is constantly on the move, thinking of new things to try or change or implement. They're personal or familial, on a community level or world stage. Half of the time I actually take my ideas by the horns and do something about it, half the time it stays up there.

This one is worth too much not to record, even if it's just for myself. It's not something I can action immediately, but I'm afraid it will be lost forever in my terrible memory if I don't jot it down. One day in the not too distant future I hope to come across this idea again and have the chance to do something about it.

I was reading today an article about what girls today need in order to thrive. Aside from the differences in learning and education (a topic I'm always fascinated by), the author also talked about the importance of sports. I'm a big sports fan. Over the years I've participated in volleyball, basketball, field hockey, soccer, cross country running, swimming, gymnastics, skating and baseball. And those are just the formal teams. Sports is a natural love for me - there aren't many of my family members who enjoy it like I do. I was excited to read in this article the tracked benefits of girls who engage in sports.

The line that inspired me, however was this: "Kids are inspired by the people closest to them. That means you, Mom! We need moms to get out there and show girls how it's done."

Isn't that a great idea? And I don't just mean girls going out to watch their moms play - I think they should play with them! I'd love to organize a couple of mother-daughter teams to play sports. The girls (probably ages 10-16) would have a chance to play in a non-competitive environment, have a go at a couple of different sports, and get a chance to hang out with Mom one-on-one.

As excited as I am about this now, I know it's not the right time for me to start a project of this magnitude. But I know that when the time is right, this idea/journal entry will mysteriously surface again and I'll be re-inspired with this one.

2 comments:

WILBERT PUDDICOMBE said...

TERRI-ANN:

SOUNDS SO GOOD!! HOW ABOUT DAD'S AND SONS.!!! I WISH MY ATHLETIC ABILITY HAD STAYED TILL MY BOYS WERE OLDER. WOULD HAVE LOVED TO RUN WITH MY KIDS.!!!

WIL

mommy's thoughts! said...

Great Idea! Maybe one day when we both have girls (hahahha maybe one day) we can do some fun mom and daughter sports. That would be lots of fun.