Monday 29 November 2010

For Careylee

There will likely be over 400 people this morning attending a funeral service for our friend Careylee. Loving mother to three beautiful young girls and long time best friend to her husband, she will be missed by all those who were touched by her loving spirit.

Both James and I had hoped to attend, but a last minute scramble at work and all our friends also trying to get to the service meant that we had no one local to babysit. I was about to get on the phone and call around to some acquaintances when a thought passed through my mind. Although I have known Careylee for three years, we were not intimate friends. It occurred to me that perhaps the best way I could show my love for her friendship was to watch the children of the other young moms who have known Careylee much longer. And so this morning I am watching the daughter of Careylee's best friend so that she may attend the funeral with her husband. Having never experienced the loss of someone so close, I can't imagine the exact feelings she is overwhelmed with. But I do understand that in such tragic circumstances the desire to have your husband standing at your side, holding your hand, holding you up.

Pondering on life when it ends always leads my thoughts toward the great plan God has created for us. Knowledge of who we are, where we came from, where we are going, where loved ones are who have already left this earth...there is great comfort in this knowledge, for which I am eternally grateful.

No comments: