Thursday 25 November 2010

Welcome Dominic

I am an auntie again! My sister Krystal gave birth to a beautiful baby boy, Dominic John, on Tuesday. As Krystal spent the day here waiting for her labour to progress enough to go to the hospital, I was amazed at how much like Benjamin's labour it was. I was able to predict the time she would go to the hospital, and the time of birth within an hour! I have always thought that you must have to be mother of at least 8 children to be counted an expert, since kids and associative issues are so diverse as to eliminate the ability to rely on experience with only a couple children. But as I watched my sister give birth to her second baby, and as my sister-in-law and my brother-in-law's girlfriend are both expecting later this year, I feel a surge of knowledge within. I suppose I do have a small collection of wisdom. While not all of it will be applicable, certainly sharing my experiences might have some value to those just starting to walk the path of parenthood.

And so, I am an auntie again! The name Dominic is simply a name Krystal and Jesse liked, however John is for both my grandfathers. It is wonderful to celebrate the beginning of this tiny life.

The joy was tempered the next day, however, as I received a phone call letting me know of the passing of a friend. While I never had the chance to get to know Careylee really well, there is still a feeling of absence within me. She fought a courageous battle against cancer over the past year, but has now gone on to live with our Father in Heaven. She will watch over her three young daughters from there. Within 24 hours I experienced the true circle of life. I am grateful for the knowledge of life before earth and life afterward. It helps me to remember that the time we spend here is but a moment in eternity, that my family were together before we came here and will be together again once we leave.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to hear about your friend.

Pass on our congratulations to Krystal and Jesse, and I am very much looking forward to having you share what you've learned with me.

Em T said...

I good family friend, the man that performed our sealing in the temple, passed away within hours of my daughter entering this world. It brought a very interesting reflection to the day.

It's so exciting to have family grow and to have those wonderful experiences of shared knowledge and joy. I'm glad you get to enjoy being near them:)