Saturday 28 June 2008

Remember...

Every time Colin takes off his shoes and puts them back on because I put the wrong one on first...
Every time he gets back in his chair to get out of it by himself...
Every time he screams because I skipped a stair on the way up...
Every time he yells "I do it!"...
Every time he is crying because he can't seem to do it but won't accept any help...
Every time he won't eat a snack because it's not in the right container...
Every time he repeats his demands as though he didn't hear my emphatic "no"...
Every time he has to go back and find a very specific pine cone...
Every time he melts down because I opened the door and he wanted it closed...
Every time he lock horns with me in a battle of wills...
Every time he is frustrated because the toy won't work...
Every time he struggles with me...
Every time he resists me...

...I just remember that come ten years or so, I will be grateful for his persistence independence, making him the one to lead and not blindly follow or give in to peer pressure. It may nearly kill me today, but I know one day I will be filled with gratitude and relief because of these characteristics.

No comments: