Tuesday 14 August 2012

100 things

This idea is a little extreme for me, but an interesting one nonetheless.  I heard an interview on CBC radio the other day with a woman whose family is trying "100 things to live by."  In other words, each family member is allowed 100 things, period.  Everything counts.  Each clothing item, each pair of socks, toothbrush, toy, book, souvenir, knick knack.  As a bonus they have allowed 100 items for the "house" which includes the furniture, kitchen utensils and the like.  She and her husband recently downsized from a house to a 2 bedroom apartment in order to suit their new lifestyle.  They have almost been successful in the count: she only exceeds her 100 allotment right now as she holds on to some wardrobe pieces from her work days (pieces that are expensive) until she decides if she will return to the workforce or not.

Personally, I have more than 100 items in my bedroom.

But it's an interesting idea.  Something that gave me pause to think about.

Really, this whole simplifying process is so personal.  There are so many theories, and just as many ways to go about putting those theories into practice.  But unless you are personally converted to the idea, you might get rid of some excess, but you likely won't stop it from accumulating again.  Simple living is a mindset that must be embraced to be successful, a mantra that plays over and over in your head so that you stop the clutter from descending into your home in the first place.

I have more pictures to post...I've been ruthless in the kitchen so far, and it is beautiful!  More to come.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Terri-Ann, in typical fashion, you got me thinking... I posted more thoughts on this topic over on my blog... I'm interested in your thoughts!