Wednesday 2 July 2008

Homekeeper Challenge #10 - Blanket


This is a baby blanket that I made last week. The material is all flanelette, the front is the squares and the green portion is the back. A friend of mind showed me how to sew this together, and for those of you who know me, this is a huge accomplishment. You see, I am not, and have never been, a sewer. I own a sewing machine - a massive 50 pound 50-year old workhorse that my grandmother gave me. Actually, it's probably the best machine for me, since I think it could hold up to nuclear war. And so there is probably very little I could do to it to damage the thing.

I saw this blanket my friend had made and it inspired me to lug the old machine out and actually try my hand at this art. The result, I think, was a great success. Best of all, it only took about six hours of actual work time (and with my kids, time is a precious commodity, and a rare one also).

Inspired by my success, I now have a skirt pattern upstairs along with some great summer material. I'm hoping to sew myself two skirts over the summer. And this morning I actually hemmed an old pair of pants into shorts! Believe me, for me - this is big!

No comments: