Monday 14 July 2008

The many faces of Terri-Ann (HK#11)

In an odd moment of contemplation this week, I realized just how varied my interests and hobbies are. I was working on two very different projects last week, and here are two photos to represent:



The first is me and my very first power tool I bought. It is a reciprocating saw to help in cutting the wood for my fence. (You can get a glimpse of the pine pickets behind me there! Still working away on it - it's a long process working by myself on it, and only being able to work on it when both kids are sleeping!) you should have seen me in the Home Depot - like a kid in a candy store. I think the sales rep was impressed I knew what I was looking for. (I also picked up 72 fence rail brackets and 1 1/2" galvanized 4D nails - and yes, I asked for them by name!)

On second is a photo of my very first real sewing project! That's right - building a fence, no problem. Sewing from a pattern terrified me! But I had this material from a few years back, and really wanted to make a skirt. So I hopped over to Fabricland for a massive clearance sale, and picked up this super-easy, first-time-sewer pattern, that happened to be just what I'd been looking for. (My favourite skirt I ever bought is this exact pattern!) And guess what? I finished it in a day, zipper and clasp and everything! I had to run back to the store for some facing, and a little pattern interpretation from the expert there (who couldn't believe this was the first thing I'd ever sewn!). But in the end, a total success. It fits like a dream and looks fantastic. And the sewing fairies were watching over me, because my striped pattern "just happened" to line up EXACTLY at the seam lines. Total fluke, but much appreciated!

And so, those are the two vastly different faces of Terri-Ann.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmm....

I always understood that reciprocating saws were for demolition, not precision cutting -- so hacking things apart in a hurry, rather than fine-cutting a delicately shaped picket. Has it been working out for you?

And the skirt looks great! Nicely done, madam sewer. :)

Terri-Ann said...

Actually, I cheated and bought the pickets already cut (I'm crazy enough to build a fence, but sane enough to realize getting pre-cut pickets will save me weeks, or months, of work!). I got a deal through a contractor friend.

The reciprocating saw is just for cutting the rails and posts (2x4 and 4x4) The rails are attached to the pickets and the posts are in the ground, so this is the best option.

But, that being said, I think I like the destruction part of gardening better than the planting! I had a fantastic time sawing and pulling out bushes, and pruning back out of control plants. Even pulling weeds seems easier than the next step of planning and planting!