Monday, 7 July 2008

Weekend away

This weekend James and I enjoyed a lovely weekend away, just the two of us. It's been over a year since we had this luxury, and it was a much needed rest for the both of us. My mother and sister graciously watched Colin and Caleb for two nights, which meant that I had 8 hours of uninterrupted sleep for the first time in a year and a half.

We didn't go far - just to a hotel near the Toronto Airport. I'm still nursing Caleb, and so I wanted to be able to drop in and feed him at least once a day (more for me than him!) He is just starting to take formula from a bottle, as long as it's not me giving it to him. Funny thing is, the only one he'll take is soy formula! I didn't even realize I had picked that up - I was just loading up my cart with one of each kind, to try and find one he liked.

My weekend began with a massage at the Hockley Valley Resort (a Christmas present from James - this was the first opportunity I had to go!). Absolutely heavenly. As the massage began, I started to think about how lovely it was, and how I could get used to this kind of pampering. And then I started to think about how I didn't want to get used to that kind of pampering, because there are so many people who need help in this world that I wouldn't want to be blowing money on a spa all the time. And then I started to try and pay attention to how the masseuse was giving the massage so that I could replicate the process for James at home. And then I realized that, hey, I'm supposed to be relaxing and having a massage and to stop thinking about so many things and just enjoy it! So I did.

Over the rest of the weekend we enjoyed good food (that we didn't have to cook and clean up after), some relaxing time by the pool, and having a chance to catch up on some reading. We caught a movie, napped, played some games together, slept, took a walk, rested, ate, and slept again. Yes, we did a lot of sleeping!

And now it is Monday, and I'm feeling quite refreshed. Bonus from the weekend: Caleb seems to be weaning himself from night feeds! Last night he went nearly 7 hours without eating and slept one four hour block! Yes, this is a huge step forward for us. And he slept in his crib until 5:30 am, when I brought him into bed with me for a morning feed. There are some things I don't want to let go of just yet! There's nothing like an early morning cuddle with your little one.

No comments: