Friday 22 October 2010

Family Motto

Ever since hearing a friend talk last year about having a family motto, I have been mulling the idea over in my head. This is exactly the kind of thing I both love and dread. The idea is brilliant and inspiring, but choosing one motto, the perfect motto, is a task simply too daunting. And so, as with other challenges that fall into this category, it sat unattended. There are just so many good ideas out there, so many good options, so many good sayings.

This past Sunday I received a flash of inspiration. We were singing the intermediate hymn at church (one that I had chosen, being the Ward Music Director) and the words spoke so clearly to me. This is exactly how I want to inspire my family. There are lots of things I want to instill in my children, like a love of education, a good work ethic, deep spiritual roots. More than anything I want to teach them to serve. As it says in the book of Corinthians, "if you have not charity, you have nothing." Plus, it only seems fitting that in our musical home we should have a song to inspire us!

The idea bubbled over in the car ride home as I expressed it to James, who was on board right away. Next on my agenda is to find a way to display it in our home. But for now, here are the words to inspire the Gawthroupe family.

***

Have I Done Any Good?

Have I done any good in the world today?
Have I helped anyone in need?
Hav eI cheered up the sad and made someone feel glad?
If not, I have failed indeed.
Has anyone's burden been lighter today because I was willing to share?
Have the sick and the weary been helped on their way?
When they needed my help was I there?

There are chances for work all around just now,
Opportunities right in our way.
do not let them pass by, saying, "Sometime I'll try,"
But go and do something today.
'Tis noble of man to work and to give;
Love's labor has merit alone.
Only he who does something helps others to live.
To God each good work will be known.

Then wake up and do something more
Than dream of your mansion above.
Doing good is a pleasure,
A joy beyond measure,
A blessing of duty and love.

No comments: