Monday 11 October 2010

Thankful

Today we went around the Thanksgiving table and each named one thing we are particularly thankful for on this holiday. It was quickly evident how much we cherish each other as a family, as we all expressed our gratitude for family members - husbands, wives, sons, granddaughters.

And so I wanted to take a moment and really think about those things I am truly grateful for. It is at times like these that the everyday trappings are stripped away and you realize what really means the most.

I am thankful for my husband, who loves and protects me fiercely. His loyalty is unmatched. I am grateful we are married for 'time and all eternity' and that our family is sealed together forever. I couldn't imagine not being with them once this life is passed. What a blessing it is to have been sealed as a forever family in the temple.

I am thankful for my boys. I am thankful for their infinite love that gives me a glimpse into the love of my Heavenly Father for me. I am grateful that they so easily forgive my shortcomings. I am thankful for their cuddles and hugs.

I am thankful for the material provisions in life with which I am blessed. I am grateful I do not know the pangs of hunger or the bite of the cold. I am grateful not just for 'enough,' but for more than enough and some to spare.

I am thankful for the light and knowledge of the gospel of Jesus Christ. I am thankful for the direction it gives me in life, and for the constant drive it provides in me to improve upon myself. I am grateful for the gift of life from my Saviour through his eternal sacrifice. Where would I be today without it?

I am thankful for the gift of music in my life. I can't imagine a day going by without hearing sweet melodies and beautiful poetry.

I am thankful for my beautiful life. It reminds me of a song by Hilary Weeks. When I hear her sing this song, I am reminded of all of which I am blessed.

I am blessed with a beautiful life
I am blessed
All I need He's given me
I am blessed.

There's no doubt Heaven watches over me
There's no doubt
Through thick and thin I'll trust in Him
There's no doubt.

I'll be faithful
Certain as the rising sun
And steady northern star
Constant and true to His name
Like an ocean wave pushing on
Until it reaches shore
Day after day I will remain
Faithful.


These lyrics constantly remind me that I truly am blessed by His love and grace, and are a reminder of the faith I promise Him in return.

1 comment:

Heather said...

Beautiful. Happy Thanksgiving xo