Thursday 19 May 2011

In-depth scripture study

As of today, I finished the most in-depth scripture study I have done to date. For any of you who have completed a Beth Moore study, you know that a pat on the back is in order here. I love Beth Moore. Love, love, love, love, love. She writes exactly the kind of study aide that appeals to me. Each day of the study takes about 45 minutes to complete, and is replete with historical and language facts, as well as really thought-provoking questions.

I just finished "Jesus, the One and Only." It is a 10 week, 5 days a week, study of the gospel of Luke. Most days there were no more than 10 verses to study and ponder. It was a really in-depth look at every event of the life of Jesus. When you are moving that slowly through the verses, but still spending 45 minutes a day on that section, you get to soak in a lot of knowledge about the event, the period, the people. You also get a good chance to think about a personal application.

I was actually able to complete one section per day, five days a week (Monday-Friday) without missing a single day. That is really an accomplishment for me in this stage of my life. While the boys are awake, there is no hope at getting 45 minutes of concentration. At night, there is all the rest of the housework to catch up with, and to spend some time with James. Getting up early in the morning is out of the question, with Benjamin still waking through the night and Caleb up for the day by 6am. Which left nap time - a precious commodity for a mother still up every 3 hours with her baby. But at the beginning of the study I committed the first 45 minutes of nap time to God, and prayed that he would provide me that time, plus a little nap also. And he did - every single day. When I think back on it, I am amazed.

I feel as though I want to include some of my thoughts on the study, but, as you can imagine, there are too many. Suffice it to say that the journey of walking every step of the way from Bethlehem to Calvary with Jesus was eye-opening and heart-committing. I am definitely changed by the experience.

No comments: