Sunday 14 August 2011

Bedtime

Last night I went out with the girls for dinner, dessert, and a good long chat. I always love those evenings. As my friend was dropping me back off, I glanced at the clock and noticed that it was just past 11pm. It made me smile, and I told her why: it meant that James was likely still up. Once in a while we have a girls night where we are out into the early morning and when I arrive home I crawl into bed next to a sleeping husband. And I never really like it. As I explained all this to my friend, I realized that James and I always head up to bed together. Every night, usually just before 11pm, we close up shop and head up to get ready for bed and watch the first bit of the evening news. Then we turn out the light, turn over, and go to sleep. (Okay, I might read for an extra ten minutes or so.)

My friend noted that that was really something special. Her husband is a night owl and is always up much past her. Then I thought about some of my other friends, many who are in the same boat. Some have husbands who stay up late, some are the night owls themselves.

So as I got ready for bed last night just as James was ready to fall into bed, I smiled to myself as I chatted about the evening to him. Then I smiled again as we crawled under the covers and turned off the light. It really is a lovely thing.

No comments: