Tuesday 9 August 2011

On food

I am officially throwing in the towel on gardening.

I have decided that since I do not enjoy it, and I do not need it, I will no longer grow a garden. Each year I get very little yield. What does grow all ripens around the same time and we can't eat it all, and I don't have time to can/freeze it. Plus whatever animal haunts my backyard at night takes off with more than its 1/4 allotted share (according to the old poem.) I don't have time to weed and take care of it properly, because if I do it with Benjamin around, he wants to pull out everything. And I think I actually spend more money buying seedlings and soil and compost etc. than I actually get out of the garden.

On a happier note, I am excited to discover some new recipes. I'm always on the lookout for healthy, waist-trimming ideas. While my tried and true cookbook will always be the Better Homes and Gardens Red Plaid Cookbook (FANTASTIC!), every now and then I like to venture into something new. Last week I pulled out Crazy Plates, which has some great low-fat meal ideas. And today I came across Enlightened Home Cooking, sent over in a pile of discarded cookbooks from my mother-in-law. This one has me really excited. Just my kind of cookbook - yummy meal ideas with an ingredient list that isn't too long or exotic.

As I started mentally bookmarking some recipes, my mind wandered to the recent film "Julie and Julia." It was a lovely little film, all about a girl who decided to cook her way through Julia Child's famous cookbook, one recipe at a time. So I think I might try something similar with this new Enlightened cookbook (skipping only the ones that I know my four boys would not even look at!)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Shouldn't that say 'throwing in the trowel'? Ha ha! *slaps knee* I'm so tired.