Tuesday 16 August 2011

I won!

I won a contest! Okay, before my family get all excited, no, it isn't a trip or money or even anything really big. (Like my sister who won a backstage meet and greet with Josh Groban. I'm still not sure why she took her husband instead of me!) But if you know me, then you know I never win anything. I don't even win at the Tim Horton's "Roll up the rim to win" contest, where 1 in 3 cups is a winner, and I've been doing that for 12 years.

So you can imagine my surprise when I scrolled down the blog roll update of blogs that I read, and saw my name as a contest winner on the Heavenly Homemakers blog! The prize is a lovely journal, cute tote, and inspirational book - just the perfect kind of prize for me. I can tell you right now that the morning this little package is delivered, I will open it up and feel the warm womanly glow of pampering myself.

Yay!

3 comments:

Mom said...

Congratulations! That is so awesome! What did you have to do to win the contest?

Btw, how can I fix things so I get notified when you answer me back. Right now, the only way I find out is if I check to see how many commments you get on a blog.

heather80 said...

I just did the living room crackdown as well...and removed similar items! Most of Shea's toys are in the living room, his bedroom has a bookcase (one of those canvas ones), a small toy box, a magnetic white board with letter and number magnets, and lots of stuffed animals (he is allowed to bring stuffed animals to bed, but not toys). We want him to play upstairs more, so we collapsed the easel (which he, sadly, doesn't use anymore. He prefers to write on the walls and his bed, grr), and added a tent with a tunnel we got from a second-hand kids' store for $5. We've allowed him to bring some of his toys up as well. The result has been lots of sleep-in time for Mom and Dad, as he wakes up and amuses himself (yay!)

I removed 2 garbage bags full of broken toys/missing pieces/junk from the living room, and have another 2 bags worth of toys I am taking to the daycare (my classroom needs toys). I removed all the playdough stuff (which had been reduced to just the accessories, no playdough), and turned what was the train table, then playdough table, into a learning table, where I put his puzzles, activity books, task sheet (learning to write, etc.) books, his new Leapfrog electronic thing, etc.. That table had become a catch-all for everything. The drawer in the table hold his myriad of little cars, little toys, etc.. He has an Ikea folding bin full of music toys, his second bookshelf filled to the brim with books (and I have 2 huge bags of books in his closet too. I am a firm believer in not having too many books). He has a Lightning McQueen suitcase full of bigger cars and trucks, with the 3 or so ones too big to fit sitting beside it. He has a big wooden train under the learning table. He has a Thomas suitcase filled with train tracks, and then a Rubbermain bin with random toys. This still sounds like a lot, and it is, but previously, we had no corners in the living room. The corner where the couch meets the loveseat was COMPLETELY piled up with stuff, to the point, he couldn't even get in to play with the stuff. I also tossed his art stuff. As someone who loves art, this pained me, but he NEVER uses it at home, barring using a pen and paper, and does art at daycare.

His bedroom is usually pretty organized, so that covers Shea's stuff...now to do the same to my own stuff!

heather80 said...

Whoops, posted that to the wrong entry.