Monday 1 August 2011

The boys' bedroom

Now that the boys are a little older, I'm starting to think about decorating their room. And no, I'm not asking them. I have no interest in a Star Wars or Cars themed room. I want something that can grow a little with them. That being said, I did think about their interests, and have decided on a travel themed room. I don't have all the details worked out completely, but I'm thinking about vintage travel colours, like greens and browns. I want to find a wooden model airplane to hang from the ceiling, and a painting of a train, perhaps the Polar Express, for the wall.

I am most excited, however, about a purchase I just made for the wall - a huge 4 1/2 feet by 3 1/2 feet poster of the world:



When I was growing up, we had a huge map of the world on the landing of the stairs to the second story. There were times I stood and looked at all the countries, but most days I just saw it as I passed by. But you'd be surprised how much of that sticks, even those glances that only last seconds. A good friend told me the story of her 8 year old who aced a world geography test the teacher gave to see what the kids knew before she taught them anything. When my friend inquired of her daughter "where on earth did you learn all that?" her daughter replied "You hung that map in my room, and sometimes at night when I couldn't sleep, I would just stare at it."

But it is more than just a learning tool. I grew up in a travelling family. It's in my blood. I love roaming around the world, and I hope to inspire that same love in my kids.

2 comments:

Heather said...

Love this idea, where did you get it from?

Heather said...

The map I mean...ha