Sunday 26 June 2011

Broken

The power of music is that in three minutes it can capture more than you could speak or write in an hour. Here are the lyrics of Kenneth Cope's "Broken."

Broken clouds give rain
Broken soil grows grain
Broken bread feeds man for one more day
Broken storms yield light
The break of day heals night
Broken pride turns blindness into sight

Broken souls that need His mending
Broken hearts for offering
Could it be that God loves broken things?

Broken chains set free
Broken swords bring peace
Broken walls make friends of you and me
To break the ranks of sin
To break the news of Him
To put on Christ till His name feels broken in

Broken souls that need His mending
Broken hearts for offering
I believe that God loves broken things

And yet our broken faith, our broken promises
Sent love to the cross
And still, that broken flesh, that broken heart of His
Offers us such grace and mercy
Covers us with love undeserving

This broken soul that cries for mending
This broken heart for offering
I'm convinced that God loves broken me

Praise His name, my God loves broken things.

***

I love the progression of ideas:

"Could it be that God loves broken things?"
"I believe that God loves broken things."
"I'm convinced that God loves broken me."

I think this is indicative of the way we learn. A snatch of an idea hovers around us, and as we dwell on it, it takes a more and more definitive shape, evolving into deeper and deeper concepts until a nugget of truth emerges, like a diamond from a lump of coal.

1 comment:

Heather said...

I always loved these lyrics too, so powerful, thanks for reminding me, I hadn't heard them in a long time.